There is magic in the air of Wakkerstroom – named as “The Jewel of Mpumalanga” for its dedication to the visitor experience.
What IS happening in Wakkerstroom?
Now that winter is over, our little village is coming to life. Although we are still having heavy frosts almost every morning, the weather gurus tell us that winter is almost over at last.
Wakkerstroom, Mpumalanga – not only for the birds
- On 27th September, there will be a bazaar at Dana tehuis, with lots of stalls with handmade goods, books, meat for sale, music and a the Mucky Duck will be oeprating from there for the day. Please support our local old aged home with your presence and your money.
- On 4 October the Vivace guitar duo are playing at the Bistro restaurant. Please get in with Lizzie 072 252 5781 to book. The price is R190 for the show, canapes and a summer cocktail. Be there just before 16h00 for a late afternoon of enjoyment.
- The mountain challenge will take place on 8 November this year. Please register at the Mucky Duck on 7th, and enjoy the race in our beautiful valley.
- The Christmas Country Fair will take place on Saturday 13th December 2014. If you would like to book a stall, please get hold of Wendy on 082 895 7776. This is the Saturday of an extra long weekend, and once again accommodation will be at a premium, so book your place to stay early.
- Hannelie 078 416 3712 at Oude Stasie is organising a Jazz Festival which will take place before the end of the year and more details will be available soon.
We are in discussions with various parties about the introduction of formal walking tracks around the town, and also non-motorised mountain biking. There is lots to look forward to and to encourage visitors to share out little bit of paradise, without damaging the environment. Clean air, beautiful surroundings, a wonderful selection of accommodation and eating places, friendly people, high levels of personal safety and no e-tolls! What more could one want from a holiday destination?